Zip Line Fatality

Zip Line Fatality

Numerous sources are reporting the death of a 7th grader on a zip line in Tennessee. The boy was riding the zip line when he hit a ladder that had not been removed from the zip line. The ladder was used to remove riders from the zip line.

The boy was on a church outing at Horn’s Creek NOC Resort where he was riding the zip line. The boy suffered numerous injuries including several major head injuries.

See: Knoxville Seventh Grader Dies After Zip Line Accident At Ocoee Resort, Youth Dies After Injury On Zip Line and Farragut middle schooler dies after zip-line accident

I hate reporting these.

About these ads

9 Comments on “Zip Line Fatality”

1. Anonymous says:

As much as you hate reporting these stories, I hate being the grieving mom of “the boy” who was killed. It has been over a month now since the accident and the pain is still almost unbearable. Our son, Zachary Weimer, should not be dead! Zip lines should be a safe, fun activity. However, in this case, it seems like the proper precautions were not taken and our son was allowed to go down the zip line before someone had removed a platform used to unload the kids. You can read all about the accident and the injuries and prayers and such at caringbridge.org. Just do a search for zacharyweimer.I really hope camps will implement better safety measures with high risk activities such as zip lines.

2. I am sorry for your loss. I have been to caringbridge.org and read the information there. It was quite moving.It has been said the worst feeling in the world is to outlive you children. I hope you can find some peace sometime.

3. Anonymous says:

I hope they sued the camp into oblivion. And I say that as both a highly experienced challenge course (inc. zip lines) facilitator and an Associate Director of a camp.

This should not have happened. According to the Association of Challenge Course Technology (ACCT), there should be a written procedure for operating a zip-line which includes actions that need to be taken to avoid collisions like this. Obviously the people operating this had no idea what they were doing, nor were they certified by the ACCT.

Thankfully, the industry has been forced to look more closely at zip-lines. IN the past few years and over the coming ones, many changes have and will be made to more properly ensure the safety of participants. However, the public needs to be informed about the risks involved in send their children to non-ACA accredited camps, or fly-by-night outfits like the one where this occurred.

4. Your statement indicates a fundamental mis-understanding of insurance. Any lawsuit, if you work for a challenge course or a camp is going to cost you or the camp you work at money.

Litigation does not solve problems, it does not close businesses, it does not change the way people do business. It just cost the industry more money.

5. Anonymous says:

well it should cost the companies more money, they are not safe, this little boy should be living his life!!! I am injured now because of a zip line accident, I have had 3 surgeries in 4 months and going to have a 4th next week for a broken heel bone!! It is very serious!! I may never walk normal again and I will have pain for the rest of my life but at least I have my life to live. This child does not and that is the issue!! God Bless his parents!!

6. Jeffery Gosnell says:

Firstly, as a parent, I can say I have lived through the death of my twin sons. So I am not unsympathetic to the pain and loss of this family.

Next, I believe the Anonymous post of April 26, 2009 unfairly disregards the fact that accidents happen. The industry sets standards to prevent these, and Challenge Course personal generally take the potential risk quite seriously. But accidents occur–even good drivers can have a car accident.

I also believe that Anonymous needs to be sympathetic to the staff person who erred in this instance. I have to assume that they facilitated the zip line because they wanted to provide participants with positive experience. This wasn't a drunk driver intentionally getting behind the wheel. This wasn't a murderer seeking to harm another person. This is a person who made a costly mistake, and this person now has to live the rest of their life with the guilt of knowing their mistake cost this boy his life.

Lastly, while Jim has pointed out the camp won't close, I don't know how anyone CLAIMING to be a Facilitator and Associate Camp Director (I highly doubt the honesty of that claim)would wish to see a camp closed because one of its staff people made a horrendous mistake.

Jeffery Gosnell
    Challenge Course Manager
    Former Camp Director (1998-2007)

7. Emily says:

That is just unbelievable, that the carelessness of the operators caused such a sad and tragic accident, I pray that the family is able to get through this and even though it wouldn’t bring back their child that they get some kind of justice for this.

8. So do people sue for money or for justice or some other emotional issues?

9. Emily says:

I think it depends on the situation and the person that is suing. Some people, at least in my opinion, try to find every excuse they can to get money out of anyone, others just want justice to be served for wrongdoings, and then there are the rest that sue based on the situation because of emotional issues coming into play, which I can also see going along with justice