Cal-Wood Education Center looking for a Full Time Environmental Education Program DirectorPosted: August 28, 2015
CAL-WOOD EDUCATION CENTER
JOB OPENING – Full-time Environmental Education PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Cal-Wood is a non-profit organization located 15 miles northwest of Boulder Colorado in the beautiful Colorado Rockies. Our private 1,200 acre classroom has provided schools with award-winning residential/science-based education programs for the past 33 years. Students along Colorado’s Front Range, and beyond, spend three-days/two-nights at Cal-Wood studying local plants, animals, weather patterns, forestry, pioneer life, geology, pond ecology, and more. Instruction is tailored to each school’s academic needs. Students learn about Cal-Wood’s forest management, including fire mitigation, water conservation, and alternative energy. Our professional instructors also make a point of introducing students to the possibility of pursuing careers in science and natural resources management. In addition, Cal-Wood is a pioneer in customizing environmental education programs for linguistically diverse students. We are now looking to expand our facilities and be able to serve more school groups to keep up with our demand. We are seeking for a professional Program Director to help us achieve our goals.
Description of Position:
- Develops a plan to increase school programs and summer camps.
- Develops, coordinates, implements and evaluates all aspects of Cal-Wood’s science based school programs.
- Develops, coordinates, implements, and evaluates all aspects of our summer camps.
- Meets with classroom teachers to develop customized programs to meet the schools’ academic needs.
- Responsible for all aspects of our environmental education curriculum.
- Is responsible for all school programs scheduling and logistics.
- Develops and implements marketing strategies for our EE school programs and summer camps.
- Provides training, supervision, and leadership to our five instructors and two interns.
- Builds partnerships with other youth organizations.
- Provides professional communication with the rest of Cal-Wood managers.
- Works with our land stewardship manager to incorporate aspects of our land management into the curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Education, Natural Resources, Natural Sciences, Education, or a related field.
- At least 5 years experience teaching environmental/conservation education and curriculum development.
- At least 4 years experience coordinating residential EE programs with supervisory responsibilities.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong communication skills with adults and children.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and roles, patiently and professionally.
- Understanding of the Academic Standards.
- A good understanding of the natural resources management.
- Experience in working with diverse audiences.
- Experience marketing environmental education programs and summer camps.
- People skills, team player, outgoing, creative, resourceful, critical thinker, results-oriented, and self motivated.
- Have strong written and oral skills.
- Experience in budget management.
- Spanish speaker is a plus.
- Proficient with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
Salary: Very competitive. Benefits: ½ of health insurance paid, dental discount program, vacation, sick leave, and some meals on site.
Starting Date: Fall 2015. Applications accepted until the position is filled
To apply please e-mail cover letter and resume to infoatcalwood.org. Any questions concerning the position may be e-mailed to infoatcalwood.org. Please check our website for more information about Cal-Wood: www.calwood.org