The American Avalanche Association (A3) has an excellent opportunity to make a national impact among avalanche professionals and backcountry users.
We are actively seeking candidates who are experienced in running non-profits and who have exceptional leadership, fundraising, and project management skills to serve as Executive Director of A3. Top candidates will be leaders with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills who are able to foster a spirit of collaboration and teamwork amongst a wide range of outdoor professionals.
The A3 Executive Director is responsible for daily operations, fundraising, programs oversight, and community relations to a membership of 1,500 current and aspiring avalanche professionals. The organization has grown steadily over the years, continually improving member services, publications, and oversight of avalanche education standards. Our publications include The Avalanche Review, The Snowy Torrents, SWAG, and Avalanche.org.
- Oversee daily operations of a 501(c)3 non-profit, including supervising and managing staff, to effectively execute programs and initiatives that advance the A3 mission.
- Pursue a multi-pronged development strategy—including individual donors, corporate sponsorships, and grants—with annual and multi-year benchmarks and goals.
- Envision and coordinate fundraising events.
- Oversee and contribute to current organizational programs, projects, and initiatives, including: publications, professional and recreational education guidelines, Avalanche.org course provider listings, Certified Instructor Program, and research grants.
- Act as connector and hub amongst avalanche professionals and avalanche-related organizations to facilitate collaboration, partnership, and sharing of ideas/information across the avalanche industry in the U.S.
- Work with the A3 Board of Trustees (and external consultants, as needed) to develop, coordinate, and implement strategies that fulfill both the A3 mission of supporting excellence in avalanche safety, education and research and foster building a better and stronger community of avalanche professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of prior professional management experience.
- Prior experience with fundraising, including donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Energetic and self-directed with excellent leadership, time management, and organizational skills, including an attention to detail, and the ability to multitask effectively.
- Experience and drive to work remotely.
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written, including the ability to effectively listen and work with a diverse range of perspectives and opinions.
- Strong, strategically-focused analytical skills, good common sense, and the ability to think critically and creatively.
- Proficient computer skills, including word processing, email, spreadsheets, database operations, financial management, basic website updates, and internet/social media tools.
- Strong personal connection to and passion for the mission of A3.
- Integrity, positive attitude, solution-oriented, sense of humor, mission driven, dedication.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience with budget preparation and oversight and financial record keeping.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Familiarity with the non-profit sector, and specifically experience working with a Board of Trustees.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings for special programs and meetings.
- Ability to simultaneously be detail-oriented and facilitate big-picture objectives.
This will be a full-time, year-round position and the successful candidate will work remotely from their location. Starting salary range $48,000 to $55,000 annually, DOE. Benefits negotiable (health insurance stipend, retirement, paid time off, holidays). The Executive Director reports to the A3 Board of Trustees.
How to Apply: Resumes with a cover letter and references will be accepted through April 05, 2018.
Submit applications to: employment
At the American Avalanche Association, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust.