Applications being accepted through April 5, 2018 for A3 Executive Director position. Position announcement below employment listingPosted: March 27, 2018
If you work in the Ski Industry you need to be a Member of the American Avalanche Association. Upcoming Avalanche Training for the 2017-18 Season Announced.Posted: November 14, 2017
If you and anyone you know is qualified and interested in being an Avalanche Hazard Management Consultant for a construction project in the North Cascades this winter, check out the job opportunity below. The company is looking to hire and have someone(s) on site by next week. Feel free to pass this along as you see fit… and please contact Brad Gibson (Bradley.Gibson, phone number below) for more details.
Avalanche Hazard Management Consultant (Experienced – Certified Technicians) (Required start: 12/29/15)
• Heavy Industrial Construction Project seeks the services of the above subject matter expert(s) to provide full-time, on-site services in the US Pacific NW. The site is located in a remote area of the Cascade Mountains and will require 2-3 personnel working on a rotational basis. Direct-hire and contract employees are welcome. All transportation, accommodations and meals provided.
• Monitor snowpack and weather conditions in areas that avalanche risk affects the assets on site.
• Monitor avalanche hazard in identified avalanche paths of concern and predict hazard level with daily avalanche forecasts and advisories.
• Coordinate and advise the Avalanche Management team’s activities, implement the existing Avalanche Management Program through daily meetings, engaging the various site stakeholders.
• Advise on continuous improvement of existing Avalanche Management Program, specific avalanche risk reduction procedures.
• Provide Avalanche Rescue Response protocol; advise Incident Commander on specific activities required during a response.
• Notify Client when the risk of avalanches to the project have ceased for the winter and said services can be terminated for the season.
Additional Services (to be determined) – Active Avalanche Management:
• Coordinate or obtain the necessary equipment and supplies for an active risk management strategy as is deemed necessary.
• Collate snowpack, weather, and terrain data for Client to utilize for next season; process and summarize all data collected. Complete a year-end summary report, including recommendations for further improvement and “lessons learned”.
• Collaborate with key leadership personnel to develop a long-term avalanche risk management strategy that meets Industry best practices.
• Due to existing weather conditions – these positions are available for immediate fulfillment with a target date for mobilization to the site of12/29/15.Estimated duration of assignment is through April 2016.
Brad Gibson, CMSP
Senior HSE Advisor, Rio Tinto Projects
P.O. Box 248 * Victor, Idaho 83455 * Phone: (307) 699- 2049
The American Avalanche Association is pleased to announce this year’s AVPRO course location and dates. This season AVPRO will be returning to Summit County, Colorado, February 25 – March 4, 2015. Summit County holds a rich history within the avalanche industry. Students will learn from several of the top avalanche professionals in the region in one of the most interesting snow climates in the nation. Details can be found at www.americanavalancheassociation.org/edu_courses.php.
Who should attend AVPRO? AVPRO is intended for all disciplines of avalanche professionals with a solid background in avalanche fundamentals, companion rescue, and basic snow assessment. The course will continue to build on this foundation of snow science with an emphasis on high level of companion and organized avalanche rescue, accurate and advanced snow stability assessment, and avalanche control programs and procedures. Other common questions and answers can be found at http://americanavalancheassociation.org/pdf/AVPro_FAQs.pdf or by contacting the AVPRO coordinator, Dallas Glass.
Join us this season for what will be an exciting time of learning and networking as avalanche professionals.
AVPRO Coordinator – Education Committee
American Avalanche Association