PROGRAM DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Benefits: Health, Dental and Retirement
Work Hours: Flexible schedule that varies by season; some nights and weekends; average 40 hour work week
Position Open: July 15-August 15, 2013
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and references to Executive Director, Emma Wharton
The Program Director for Grand Canyon Youth (GCY) is responsible for the preparation, correspondence and coordination of the programmatic aspects of Grand Canyon Youth’s river education programs. The Program Director must have the ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with GCY staff, youth participants, parents, guides, drivers, volunteers, and community partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Development (5%)
• Manage program documents
• Develop and implement educational curriculum/goals
• Collect, create and distribute educational resources
Program Preparation (90%)
• Orient the teachers, partnership agencies, and community members who work with Grand Canyon Youth to the goals of Grand Canyon Youth.
• Act as the main point of contact with groups and participants
• Maintain and facilitate on-going communication through email, phone and in-person meetings
• Schedule and lead informational meetings
• Manage the financial aid approval process
• Conduct post-season debriefs and evaluations
Other Responsibilities (5%)
• Adhere and be familiar with the GCY risk management policies, procedures, and protocols.
• Coordination of an on-river educational program
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Enthusiasm for working with middle and high school age youth
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Superior organization skills and ability to formulate efficient systems
• Ability to document and communicate details
• High interest in experiential education & development of educational resources for outdoor and site-based education
• Creative and effective problem-solving skills
• Strong work ethic
• Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks
• Demonstrated ability to innovate, rather than maintain status quo
• Ability to function well in a busy work environment (including a shared office with multiple interruptions)
• Practical knowledge and experience using a variety of office equipment and programs (including, but not limited to, desktop computer, shared documents, printer, fax machine, multi-line telephone, copier, email, word processing, spreadsheets)
• Sense of humor
• Bachelor’s degree and/or any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position
• Clean driving record
• Ability to pass a background check
• Minimum age of 21
• At least two years experience working with youth and/or working in nonprofit management
• River experience
• Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid training
• This position is subject to the availability of grant funds.
• This job description may evolve as the needs of the organization change.
• Grand Canyon Youth, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Canyon Youth, Inc. is a non-profit organization. Our mission is to provide an experiential education for youth along the rivers and canyons of the Southwest in an effort to promote environmental awareness, community involvement, personal growth, and teamwork among people of diverse backgrounds.
Our ideal candidate will be dependable, trustworthy and able to follow up with and complete tasks in a timely manner. The GCY Program Director must be very organized and whole-heartedly embrace the values outlined in our mission.
Grand Canyon Youth